Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Smashed (#6.09)

"WARREN!"

The regulars: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Marsters, and Alyson Hannigan.
Guest stars: Danny Strong as Jonathan; Adam Busch as Warren; Tom Lenk as Andrew; Elizabeth Anne Allen as Amy; and Amber Benson as Tara Maclay.
Written by: Drew Z. Greenberg ("Older and Far Away", "Him")
Directed by: Turi Meyer (Angel eps "Offspring", "Forgiving")

The one where... Amy is no longer a rat, the Trio steal a diamond and freeze a guy, and Spuffy get it on.

Resident evil: The Trio.

The rewatch: It isn't as bad as I remembered it. Well, that's what I thought until I got to the Bronze scene, where Willow and Amy have 'fun' with magic. And later, the Spuffy sex. Now I remember clearly why I hate this episode, because it's the start of many MANY Spuffy sexual encounters in future episodes.

I did like the Trio stealing the diamond (and Andrew doing it Mission Impossible style), their interaction with Spike and the Tara/Dawn scenes. Too bad there was little room for Xander and Anya in this ep. They are my favorites.

I liked Amy in "Witch", "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" and "Gingerbread" and I always wondered when they were going to de-rat her (excluding "Something Blue"). At first I was happy to see her in this ep. Her interactions with Willow and Buffy early in the ep are fun, but it all goes downhill from The Bronze scene. More about this in my "Wrecked" rewatch.

I miss Giles!

Extra tidbit: One of the only reasons American Dreamz is worth watching is Adam Busch.

Rating: In my opinion, one of the worst eps of the entire show.

2 comments:

Tim Hatcher said...

I didn't watch Buffy much during its run, but I've been watching every episode on DVD over the past few months and just got to "Smashed". I have to say I don't care for the trio of nerdy bad guys at all. One of the show's strengths is to use cliches and stereotypes as a springboard to humor, but I don't think it works well with these "villains". At least, I never laughed. Maybe it's the actors who are to blame rather than the idea.

Gwen said...

I can appreciate the Trio as a bunch of geeks trying to be bad (and failing hard), but not as actual villains. It went downhill for me when Warren snapped. I think he's scarier than most of the monsters, because he's human, but it's not in line with the show's previous seasons. Shame.

Thank you for your comment!