Saturday, March 14, 2009

All the Way (#6.06)

"This is a special kind of angel called a Charlie. We don't have wings, we just skate around with perfect hair fighting crime."


The regulars: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Marsters, and Alyson Hannigan.
Special guest star: Anthony Stewart Head
Guest stars: Amber Tamblyn as Janice; John O'Leary as Kalenbach; Kavan Reece as Justin; Dave Power as Zack; and Amber Benson as Tara Maclay.
Written by: Steven S. DeKnight ("Blood Ties", "Spiral")
Directed by: David Solomon ("The Prom", "Beer Bad")

The one where... it's Halloween, Dawn kisses a vamp and Amber Tamblyn guest stars.

Resident evil: a bunch of vamps disrespecting the Halloween rules.

The rewatch: I wasn't looking forward to this episode at all, seeing as this is a Dawn centric episode. I don't hate her here as much as I did in season 5, but I still don't like her as much as I do in season 7. Luckily, it's not as bad as I remembered it.

I love the opening of the episode at the Magic Box with Xander dressed as a pirate (eye patch!) and Anya dressed as an Angel, followed by Anya's money dance and Xander announcing their engagement! It's all very fun and cute. Unfortunately, it's downhill from there. Willow's magic addiction is already starting to annoy me and it just reminds me that I have to sit through "Smashed" and "Wrecked" again.

Dawn, Janice and the guys.. well, that's all kinda boring. I did like that the old man didn't turn out the be the bad guy and that the boys turned out to be vamps. It's a shame we never got to see Janice again after this ep even though she survived.

Extra tidbits: John O'Leary, who played the old man, also appeared as a Council Member in "Checkpoint".

Amber Tamblyn (Janice) is probably best known for playing the title character on Joan of Arcadia, which earned her a Golden Globe nomination. She has also enjoyed success as Tibby in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movies and she played Sarah Michelle Gellar's sister in The Grudge 2.

A reason why this episode heavily features Dawn is that it allowed the rest of the cast to prepare for "Once More With Feeling".

Rating: The episode has its moments, but overall it's not all that memorable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen,

I have been admiring your Buffy page.

I have been a closet Buffy fan for years, but it's kind of awkward, because I really don't fit the demographic.

Since you are an aspiring psychologist, I will be your first patient and consider all our communications privileged. :-)


Regards, Dan in NYC

Gwen said...

Thank you for your comment, Dan! I didn't even know people visited this site! I should start updating again. :)

Have a great day!