Saturday, March 14, 2009

Once More, with Feeling (#6.07)

"Bunnies, bunnies, it must be BUNNIES!"


The regulars: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, James Marsters, and Alyson Hannigan.
Special guest star: Anthony Stewart Head
Guest stars: Hinton Battle as Sweet; and Amber Benson as Tara Maclay.
Written by: Joss Whedon
Directed by: Joss Whedon

The one where... there's a lot of singing and dancing!

Resident evil: musical aficionado Sweet and his dancing henchman.

The rewatch: Ahhhhh "Once More, with Feeling"! A bright spot in the somberness that is season six. I love this episode more and more with each viewing. This is an episode that actually needed a lot of time to grow on me. The first time I saw it, I wasn't sure what to think of it. But now? This is one of my favorite eps to rewatch.

Mucho respect for Joss for writing songs that fit so perfectly on the show. Songs that say so much about the characters singing them. How brilliant is 'Under Your Spell'? Tara sings about Willow's influence on her life, while we know that Willow actually cast a spell on Tara.

I love the 'Under Your Spell/Standing' reprise. Amber and Tony's voices sound perfect together. Emma surprised me the most with her singing and dancing skills. I still don't know why she isn't a bigger star. Less talented people are. I will never understand this industry! Nick seems sort of fearless. He seems to do whatever he is asked to do and I think he pulled the singing and dancing off well. I don't think it's a secret Aly didn't want to sing (luckily, she has other talents).

Extra tidbits: Hinton Battle is a musical star. He appeared in The Wiz and Miss Saigon among other things.

The little Mutant Enemy monster sings 'Grrr Arrrghh' at the end.

Michelle Trachtenberg requested a dance sequence instead of a song.

Writers/producers David Fury and Marti Noxon appeared in this ep as respectively the 'Mustard Man' and the 'Parking Ticket Lady'.

Rating: One of the show's best episodes.

No comments: